December 2010 – The Farmers Corner: Five Gifts for Farmers-Market Shoppers and Eco-Conscious Eaters
Published: 11/30/2001 By Red Jen
Five reusable items to support easy shopping at farmers’ markets and eco-conscious eating:
1. Eating on the run? BYOU - bring your own utensils! Light-weight, reusable bamboo utensils in slim-line packs are available in fun colors like avocado or pumpkin for $12.95 at to-goware.com
2. Pack your own lunch and leftovers in Happy Tiffin stainless steel containers. Available in all kinds of fun shapes and sizes, starting at $22 from happytiffin.com
3. To make your own meals, shop with your own bags. The Inconvenient Bag is a reusable (and customizable!) canvas bag for all your shopping needs. Choose the “classic” at $11, or my favorite, “Love Recycles,” with an inside pocket and longer handles, for $19.99 at eco-coolbag.com
4. To buy and store fruits and veggies, grab Reusable Produce Bags. A five-pack of standard, produce sized, organic cotton bags are available for $13 at ecobags.com
5. To keep your purchases cool, shop with a Collapsible, Rolling Cooler. Think of the plastic bags, pounds of ice, and shoulder tension you’ll save rolling this cooler home from the market! Just $28.50 for a small one, or $47.50 for large, available at keepyourcooler.com
Keep yourself, your loved ones (and the planet!) healthy and happy this holiday season.
Red Jen Ford is a Health Coach and Farmers’ Market Manager who teaches her customers and clients the simplicity of eating local, sustainably grown food.